U.S. State Department refuses to comment on deadly attack in Syria
www.chinaview.cn 2008-10-28 03:37:38   Print

    WASHINGTON, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. State Department Monday refused to comment on a rare attack by U.S. helicopters on the Syrian side of border with Iraq on Sunday which reportedly killed eight people.

    "The Syrians did call in, at the level of vice foreign minister, our charge d'affairs, ... brought her in there to raise with her these reports of activities in Abu Kamal, which is close to the Syrian-Iraqi border," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters Monday at a press conference.

    "But beyond that, I don't have any comment for you," said the spokesman, adding "probably the best people to give you an update on that are either my friends at the Pentagon or MNF-I (Multi-National Force - Iraq) in Baghdad .... They are in a better position to do that."

    The White House also refused to give any remark on the attack. "United States government has not commented on reports about that, and I'm not able to here, either." said Dana Perino, spokeswoman for President George W. Bush.

    The spokeswoman, during the daily press conference, rarely used "I can't comment on it at all," "I'm not going to comment in any way," "I don't know, I don't know," "all I can tell you is that I am not able to comment on reports about this reported incident" to answer reporters' questions on the attack.

    The Syrian media reported four U.S. helicopters had "launched aggression on a civilian building under construction" near the Syrian town of Abu Kamal. Eight people were killed in the attack.

    Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem, who was in London for a visit, told reporters Monday that the U.S. attack in Syrian territory was an act of "criminal and terrorist aggression," adding that Syria would defend its territories should the United States launched a similar attack again. 

Syria condemns U.S. "terrorist aggression"

Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Al-Moualem speaks during a news conference in London October 27, 2008. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>

    LONDON, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Visiting Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem on Monday condemned the United States for its "terrorist aggression" on Syria after the U.S. launched a raid on a village near the Syria-Iraq border killing eight civilians.  Full story

Arab League slams U.S. raid inside Syria

    CAIRO, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- The Cairo-based Arab League (AL) on Monday denounced a U.S. air strike on Sunday inside the Syrian territories that killed eight Syrian civilians.

    Such a violation undermines the efforts to establish regional security and may lead to more tensions in the region, the pan-Arab body said in a statement. Full story

Spokesman: Iran condemns U.S. raid into Syria

    TEHRAN, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hassan Qashqavi, condemned Monday the U.S. raid into Syria, the official IRNA news agency reported.

    Addressing the correspondents in the weekly press conference, Qashqavi called the U.S. raid unacceptable. Full story

Lebanese president contacts Syria to denounce U.S. aggression

    BEIRUT, Oct. 27 (Xinhua) -- Lebanese President Michel Suleiman on Monday contacted his Syrian counterpart Bashar Assad to denounce "Sunday's American aggression" against the Syrian village of Abu Kamal near the border with Iraq, local Elnashra website reported.

    During the contact, President Suleiman presented his condolences to the families of the victims of the U.S. raid and expressed his solidarity with Syria in imposing its sovereignty on all its territories, said the report. Full story

Syria protests against U.S. helicopters attack

    DAMASCUS, Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- Syria on Sunday summoned the U.S. charge d'affaires to Damascus and protested against a U.S. helicopters attack on its civilians earlier in the day.

    Eight Syrian civilians were killed in a U.S. helicopters attack in a Syrian farm near its border with Iraq on Sunday afternoon, according to the official SANA news agency.  Full story

Report: Eight Syrian civilian killed in U.S. helcopters attack

    DAMASCUS, Oct. 26 (Xinhua) -- Eight Syrian civilians were killed in a U.S. helicopters attack in a Syrian farm near its border with Iraq, the official SANA news agency reported.

    "Four U.S. military helicopters violated the Syrian airspaces at 4:45 p.m. (1345 GMT) in al-Boukamal, 8 km deep at the al-Sukariah farm," an official media source was quoted as saying.

    "The four helicopters launched aggression on a civilian building under construction and opened fire against the workers inside the building, among them the wife of the building's guard," said the source.  Full story

Editor: Mu Xuequan
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top