Bali bombers to file fresh appeal
www.chinaview.cn 2008-10-23 14:35:12   Print

    JAKARTA, Oct. 23 (Xinhua) -- Three Bali bombers on the death row for the deadly 2002 Bali blasts will launch a new appeal to the country's Supreme Court next week, a lawyer said here Thursday.

    Earlier this week, the three Islamic militants failed to challenge the country's method of execution by firing.

    In 2004, the country's Supreme Court declared Ali Gufron alias Muklas, Amrozi, and Imam Samudra alias Abdul Azis, guilty. The Bali bombing killed 202 people, most of them Australian holidaymakers.

    "The appeal is likely to be launched next week on behalf of their families," Wirawan Adnan, a member of lawyer team, told Xinhua.

    Separately, in Nusa Kambangan prison, Muklas's wife, Faridah and their children, visited Muklas in the prison Thursday, the lawyer said.

    "They have met with Muklas in the prison today," said Adnan.

    Muklas along with Imam Samudra and Amrozi has been under a tight security in the Cilacap prison ahead of their execution which is expected at the end of this year.

    Preparation for the execution has been made by the provincial police.

    On Friday, Indonesian Attorney General Office will announce the time of execution. It is not clear whether the appeal would affect it.

    Indonesian Constitutional Court on Tuesday rejected the criminals' appeal to review the method of execution. The court upheld the way of execution, saying that no method of execution is painless.

    Pressure from the family members of the victims to execute the three bombers has been mounting recently.

Editor: Jiang Yuxia
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top