BEIJING, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- Following is the full text of the Joint Statement between China and Pakistan issued here Thursday.
Joint Statement between the People's Republic of China and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
(16 October 2008, Beijing)
On the invitation of President Hu Jintao, President Asif Ali Zardari paid a state visit to China on 14-17 October 2008.
President Hu Jintao held talks with President Zardari. Mr. Wu Bangguo, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, Mr. Wen Jiabao, Premier of the State Council, and Mr. Jia Qinglin, Chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, met President Zardari respectively. Talks between the two presidents and President Asif Ali Zardari's meetings with other Chinese state leaders were characterized by traditional warmth, friendship and mutual understanding. The two leaders reached broad agreement on strengthening China-Pakistan strategic partnership of cooperation and on international and regional issues of mutual interest under the new circumstances. The President of Pakistan also held wide ranging discussions with the leaders of Chinese corporations and financial institutions.
The leaders of the two countries reviewed with satisfaction the growth of China-Pakistan relations over the past 57 years since the two countries established diplomatic ties. They agreed that the friendship between China and Pakistan has withstood the test of time and practice, notwithstanding changes in the international, regional and domestic environments. The all-weather friendship and all-round cooperation have become the distinctive feature of China-Pakistan relations.
Both sides agreed that, it is essential that the two sides make continuous efforts to strengthen good-neighborly relations and friendship, develop mutually beneficial cooperation and deepen strategic partnership of cooperation between China and Pakistan which serves the fundamental interests of the two peoples and contributes to peace and development in the region.
Both sides agreed that the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Good-neighborly Relations between the People's Republic of China and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan (Treaty) signed in April 2005 is of great historic and immediate significance, laying a solid legal foundation for the long-term, stable and healthy growth of China-Pakistan relations. Both sides decided to abide by the policies and principles enshrined in the Treaty, earnestly implement the bilateral legal documents signed since the two countries established diplomatic ties and further intensify cooperation in the areas of economy, defense, science and technology, people-to-people contact, thus constantly advancing the China-Pakistan strategic partnership of cooperation.
China stressed that Pakistan is China's good neighbor, close friend, dear brother and trusted partner. China will continue to view China-Pakistan relations from a strategic and long-term perspective, and make joint efforts with Pakistan to lift China-Pakistan strategic partnership of cooperation to a new high.
Pakistan stressed that Pakistan-China relationship is the cornerstone of its foreign policy, and friendship with China represents the common desire of all Pakistani people. Pakistan appreciated the strong support and assistance provided by the government and people of China to Pakistan in its economic development. Pakistan remained committed to continuing its policy of friendship towards China and making unremitting efforts to promote the healthy and steady growth of relations between the two countries.
Pakistan unequivocally upholds the one-China policy and considers Taiwan as an inseparable part of the People's Republic of China and supports all efforts made by the Chinese government to realize national reunification.
China appreciated Pakistan's long-term and staunch support to China on issues concerning China's sovereignty and territorial integrity, reaffirmed its support for Pakistan's effort to uphold its sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity, and appreciated Pakistan's important role in promoting regional peace, stability and security and strengthening international counter-terrorism efforts.
Both sides opposed to all forms of terrorism, extremism and separatism, resolved to cooperate with each other to fight the above-mentioned three forces. China conveyed its complete support to Pakistan's commitment and efforts to fight terrorism and appreciated the sacrifices made by the government and people of Pakistan in this regard.
The two sides agreed that economic cooperation is an important part in the strategic partnership between the two countries. The two countries enjoy great economic complementarity and should fully tap the potential and comprehensively deepen mutually beneficial cooperation in the economic field.
Both sides agreed to fast track the implementation of the Five Year Development Programme on Economic Cooperation and make full use of the Free Trade Agreement in Goods and Investment and Pakistan-China Joint Investment Company. In this regard, they agree to convene a meeting of Pakistan-China Economic Cooperation group under the Five Year Development Programme on Economic Cooperation at an early date. They also agreed to hold the next meeting of the Joint Economic Commission at the convenience of both countries.
Both sides agreed to enhance cooperation to further develop and boost Pakistan's mineral and energy sectors as well as broaden financial and banking sector cooperation. They also agreed to further enhance 'connectivity' by developing new communication links including fiber optic links. They agreed to explore the concept of Integrated Border Management, overland trade and development of trans-border economic zones.
Both sides agreed to maintain communication and coordination on major international and regional issue to safeguard their common interests. Both sides agreed to continue to cooperate closely on issues such as the reform of the United Nations, climate change and energy and food security to promote world peace and development.
President Asif Ali Zardari offered congratulations to the Chinese government and people on the successful hosting of the Beijing Olympic Games and the Paralympic Games and the successful completion of Shenzhou VII's mission. President Hu Jintao congratulated President Asif Ali Zadari on his election as the President of Pakistan and thanked Pakistan for its valuable assistance in the wake of the devastating earthquake in Wenchuan, China. He also appreciated Pakistan's support to ensure the success of the Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Games. Pakistan applauded the outstanding achievements China has made in the 30 years of reform and opening-up and believes that China's development will contribute to world peace and prosperity.
President Zardari invited President Hu Jintao to visit Pakistan once again at his convenience. President Hu Jintao thanked President Zardari for his kind invitation.
Both sides signed the following agreement/MoUs during the visit:
1. Agreement on economic and technical cooperation between government of the People's Republic of China and government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
2. Amending protocol to free trade agreement between government of the People's Republic of China and government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
3. Exchanges of notes between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Interior of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan regarding the exchange of properties of the Chinese embassy in Pakistan.
4. Framework agreement on cooperation in the field of minerals between the national development and reforms committee of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Resources of Pakistan.
5.Memorandum of understanding on cooperation between the Ministry of Land Resources of the People's Republic of China and Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Resources of Pakistan.
6. Agreement on environmental protection cooperation between the Ministry of Environmental Protection of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Environment of Pakistan.
7. Framework agreement for cooperation in the field of radio, film& television between the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, government of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
8. Aksat-1R satellite procurement contract by & between China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC) and Pakistan Space & Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO).
9. Memorandum of understanding on scientific collaboration in agricultural research and technical cooperation between Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences and Agricultural Research Council of Pakistan.
10. Cooperation agreement between Beijing Museum of Natural History of the People's Republic of China and the Museum of Natural History of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
11. Memorandum of understanding on cooperation between the Cricket Association of the People's Republic of China and the Cricket Board of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
12. Memorandum of understanding regarding the project of X-ray container/vehicle inspection system between Nuctech Company Limited, Tsinghua University, Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China and Ministry of Interior of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.