China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 178
www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-12 19:56:10   Print

An excavator is seen at the spot of the mud-rock flow in Xiangfen County, Linfen City, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 12, 2008. The death toll from the rain-triggered mud-rock flow, occurring on Monday in a pond holding waste ore dregs of the local Tashan Mine, rose to 178 on Friday. Some 268,000 cubic meters of sludge deluged over an area of 30.2 hectares in the disaster. (Xinhua/Yan Yan)
Photo Gallery>>>

Rescuers carry the body of a victim onto the ambulance at the spot of the mud-rock flow in Xiangfen County, Linfen City, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 12, 2008. (Xinhua Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>

    TAIYUAN, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from a rain-triggered mud-rock flow in north China's Shanxi Province rose to 178 as of 5 p.m. on Friday, the local rescue headquarters said.

    The accident occurred around 8 a.m. on Monday in a pond holding waste ore dregs of the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County, Linfen City, which was soaked by torrential rain.

    In total, 268,000 cubic meters of sludge deluged over an area of 30.2 hectares.

    The State Council, China's Cabinet, set up an accident investigation team, including officials from the State Administration of Work Safety, Shanxi provincial government, Ministry of Supervision, Ministry of Land and Resources, and All China Federation of Trade Unions.

    Such an investigation team is set up for a "very severe accident", those which have caused at least 30 deaths, or severe injuries to at least 100 people, or 100 million yuan loss or above, according to State Council regulation.

    Shanxi Provincial Government Secretary-General Wang Qingxian said about 90 percent of the area had been combed. Altogether 2,200 rescuers, using more than 110 excavators, were hunting for survivors.

    An initial investigation revealed the accident's cause was "the unlicensed Tashan mine operated illegally and the stored waste iron ore dregs had surpassed the capacity of the holding pond," said the rescue headquarters.

Li Junlian (2nd L Front) whose nine family members were dead in the accident is comforted near the spot of the mud-rock flow in Xiangfen County, Linfen City, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 12, 2008. (Xinhua/Jiang Hongjing) 
Photo Gallery>>>

Wang Jun, China's State Administration of Work Safety director, addresses the establishing ceremony of the investigation team for the Sept. 8 mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. (Xinhua/Jiang Hongjing) 
Photo Gallery>>>

The investigation team for the Sept. 8 mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine is set up in Xiangfen County, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. (Xinhua/Jiang Hongjing) 
Photo Gallery>>>

Official dismisses "hundreds missing" claim in N China mud-rock flow 


    TAIYUAN, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) -- Rescuers on Thursday had finished searching more than half the mud-covered areas in north China after a mud-rock slide left 128 people dead.

    Shanxi Provincial Government Secretary-General Wang Qingxian said about 60 percent of the area had been combed. Altogether 2,000-plus rescuers, with the aid of more than 110 excavators, were searching for survivors. Full story


China's Hu and Wen urge all-out efforts in rescue work of N China mud-rock flow 

Eight more deaths were reported Tuesday morning in north China's Shanxi Province, bringing the death toll from the rain-triggered mud-rock flow that caused the collapse of a warehouse to 34, the local rescue headquarters said on Tuesday.

Rescuers search for survivors in houses hit by mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County under Linfen City of north China's Shanxi Province. Eight more deaths were reported Tuesday morning in north China's Shanxi Province, bringing the death toll from the rain-triggered mud-rock flow that caused the collapse of a warehouse to 34, the local rescue headquarters said on Tuesday.  (Xinhua Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>


    BEIJING, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have urged all-out efforts in rescue operations following Monday's rain-triggered mud-rock flow in north China's Shanxi Province.

    The accident has led to a death toll of 128 by Wednesday, with another 35 injured. The number of people trapped underneath the rubble is still under investigation, local rescue headquarters said. Full story

Editor: Du Guodong
Related Stories
N China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 178
N China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 128
N China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 128
34 killed in north China mud-rock flow
Home China
  Back to Top