N China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 151
www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-11 20:51:01   Print

Bulldozers and excavators clear the mud at the place where a mud-rock slide happened on Sept. 8, in Xiangfen County under Linfen City, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. Altogether 1,550 rescuers, with the aid of 160 machines were deployed in 15 sections to search for possible survivors.

Bulldozers and excavators clear the mud at the place where a mud-rock slide happened on Sept. 8, in Xiangfen County under Linfen City, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. Altogether 1,550 rescuers, with the aid of 160 machines were deployed in 15 sections to search for possible survivors. (Xinhua Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>

    TAIYUAN, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from a rain-triggered mud-rock flow in north China's Shanxi Province rose to 151 as of Thursday afternoon, with 35 injured, the local rescue headquarters said.

    The State Council, China's Cabinet, has set up an accident investigation team, including officials from the State Administration of Work Safety, Shanxi provincial government, Ministry of Supervision, Ministry of Land and Resources, and All China Federation of Trade Unions.

    The team, headed by Wang Jun, the State Administration of Work Safety director, also invited the Supreme People's Procuratorate to assist in the investigation.

    After a preliminary investigation, the team believed it was an "accident of grave responsibility" resulting from the illegal operation of an unlicensed ore mine.

    "It is the most grave accident that involves the largest death toll so far this year," Wang said. "The rising accidents disclose local governments' poor supervision on work safety. Those responsible must be dealt with seriously."

    Police have detained 13 people who were held accountable for the accident, including board chairman of the Xinta Mining Company, the mine manager, a vice manager and an accountant.

    The Communist Party chief and head of Taosi Township, and the work safety bureau director and chief engineer in Xiangfen County were dismissed for neglect of duty.

    Shanxi Provincial Government Secretary-General Wang Qingxian said Internet claims that hundreds of people were missing were mere speculation. He promised timely and transparent updated casualty numbers.

    Relatives of the dead will get 200,000 yuan (29,215 U.S. dollars) each as compensation, according to the provincial government.

    Officials from Linfen City and Xiangfen County have been sent to the scene, helping the relatives identify the victims and apply for the compensation. So far, the families of 38 victims have been confirmed.

    As of 8 p.m. Thursday, a rescue team of more than 3,000 people, with the aid of 160 excavators, were continuing the rescue operation.

    However, the sludge at the scene made the rescue work even more difficult. "Every step got bogged down in the mud," said He Jianzhong, a rescuer from the fire brigade of Xiangfen County.

    The injured, except one seriously hurt, were in stable conditions, doctors said.

    The disaster happened around 7:50 a.m. Monday when the bank of a reservoir holding waste ore dregs burst at the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County, Linfen City.

    The ore dregs reservoir, built in the 1980s, was halfway up a mountain, about 50 meters above an office building, a marketplace and some residences. It was only 100 meters away from the nearest residence.

    The mud, mixed with ore fragments, slid down the mountainside, washing away people, pushing the office building forward for 15 meters, and destroying the market and residences lying about 500 meters downstream.

    Chen Kexiang, a survivor of the accident, saw the bank burst while shopping at the market. "The reservoir collapsed abruptly, just like an explosion."

    In total, 268,000 cubic meters of sludge deluged over an area of 30.2 hectares.

    Rescue work is underway and the specific number of people trapped underneath the rubble is still under investigation.

Wang Jun, China's State Administration of Work Safety director, addresses the establishing ceremony of the investigation team for the Sept. 8 mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. (Xinhua/Jiang Hongjing) 
Photo Gallery>>>

 

The investigation team for the Sept. 8 mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine is set up in Xiangfen County, north China's Shanxi Province, Sept. 11, 2008. (Xinhua/Jiang Hongjing) 
Photo Gallery>>>

 

Official dismisses "hundreds missing" claim in N China mud-rock flow 


    TAIYUAN, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) -- Rescuers on Thursday had finished searching more than half the mud-covered areas in north China after a mud-rock slide left 128 people dead.

    Shanxi Provincial Government Secretary-General Wang Qingxian said about 60 percent of the area had been combed. Altogether 2,000-plus rescuers, with the aid of more than 110 excavators, were searching for survivors. Full story


China's Hu and Wen urge all-out efforts in rescue work of N China mud-rock flow 

Eight more deaths were reported Tuesday morning in north China's Shanxi Province, bringing the death toll from the rain-triggered mud-rock flow that caused the collapse of a warehouse to 34, the local rescue headquarters said on Tuesday.

Rescuers search for survivors in houses hit by mud-rock flow at the Tashan Mine in Xiangfen County under Linfen City of north China's Shanxi Province. Eight more deaths were reported Tuesday morning in north China's Shanxi Province, bringing the death toll from the rain-triggered mud-rock flow that caused the collapse of a warehouse to 34, the local rescue headquarters said on Tuesday.  (Xinhua Photo)
Photo Gallery>>>


    BEIJING, Sept. 10 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have urged all-out efforts in rescue operations following Monday's rain-triggered mud-rock flow in north China's Shanxi Province.

    The accident has led to a death toll of 128 by Wednesday, with another 35 injured. The number of people trapped underneath the rubble is still under investigation, local rescue headquarters said. Full story

Editor: Du Guodong
Related Stories
Hu and Wen urge all-out efforts in rescue work of mud-rock flow
N China mud-rock flow death toll rises to 128
Home China
  Back to Top