Official: Pakistan to halt anti-militants operation during Ramadan
www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-02 03:56:24   Print

    ISLAMABAD, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- The Pakistani Adviser to Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik Monday said all military operations would be suspended during the holy month of Ramadan.

    Talking to foreign media at the Interior Ministry here, Rehman Malik said that some people wanted the suspension of military operations, which would only be valid for the month of Ramadan starting from Tuesday.

    However, he clarified that if militants targeted security forces or civilians, or conducted suicide attacks, the government would react promptly.

    Referring to the ongoing operation in Bajaur tribal agency, Malik said that the forces were targeting hideouts of militants and they were working on qualitative intelligence reports.

    He also disclosed that the government have moved 500,000 people to safe area in Bajaur Agency. The government provided the refugees food, medicines and camps, he said.

    The local Taliban had earlier announced unilateral ceasefire last week but the government rejected the offer and had continued operation. 

Editor: Mu Xuequan
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top