KABUL, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- The Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) and
the U.S.-led Coalition forces have killed more than 220 militants during
clean-up operations in southern Afghan province of Helmand since Aug. 25, said a
Coalition statement released hereon Monday.
The joint forces were attacked repeatedly by militants with small-arms and
heavy-weapons fire during multiple engagements while soldiers responded with
small-arms fire, heavy-weapons and close air support, eliminating the militant
threats, the statement said.
"Operations in the area lead to the discovery and destruction of multiple
weapons caches including ammonium nitrate, 107mm rockets, motorcycles, 60mm
mortar rounds and small-arms ammunition, it said.
"No ANSF or Coalition forces service members have been killed during the
operations," it added.
Taliban insurgents who staged a violent comeback three years ago have
intensified their activities targeting Afghan and international troops across
Afghanistan to mount pressure on the government despite around 70,000 foreign
troops stationed in the war-torn country vowing to keep peace and help
spiraling insurgency have claimed the lives of over 3,200 people so far
investigating team confirms killing 90 civilians by U.S. air
KABUL, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- Afghan government's
investigating team into the case of killing civilians by U.S. air strikes in
western Herat province has found that 90 non-combatants were killed in the raids
on Aug. 22, a statement released by the Presidential Palace Sunday said.
The Minister for Haji and Religious Affairs and head of
the investigation team Nimatullah Shahrani said that the air strikes left 90
civilians dead and injured six others while presenting his report to President
Hamid Karzai. Full story