Top U.S. general likely to recommend more troop cuts in Iraq
www.chinaview.cn 2008-07-29 02:22:19   Print

    WASHINGTON, July 28 (Xinhua) -- Top U.S. general in Iraq David Petraeus said Monday that he'll likely recommend further reductions of U.S. troops in Iraq next month, but the issue is still "condition-based."

    In his first broadcast interview since meeting with Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama in Iraq, Petraeus told National Public Radio that "another month or so we can probably have an assessment that provides us with the possibility of further recommendations on reductions."

    "But again, we'll see how the conditions are at that time," he said.

    When asked about political progress being made in the Iraqi government, Petraeus said "On the one hand they have passed some impressive legislation. On the other hand, this is a very difficult piece of legislation that they are now negotiating."

    The Bush administration has pulled back the five combat brigades it sent to Iraq early last year and there is a lot of speculations about possible further cuts.

Editor: Yan Liang
Related Stories
Home World
  Back to Top