Mottaki: Israel unable to make new adventure against Iran
www.chinaview.cn 2008-06-29 20:10:45   Print

    TEHRAN, June 29 (Xinhua)-- Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Sunday that Israel is not in a position to take any new adventure against Iran, semi official Fars news agency reported.

    Addressing the press after attending the 17th joint economic conference of Iran and Pakistan, Mottaki said that in case of any offense against Iran, Israel will receive a deserving response.

    The Israeli regime is still reeling from its "crushing defeat" in its 2006 war with Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon, he said.

    The statement came as a response to a recent report by the New York Times, which said that U.S. military believed a major military exercise by Israel earlier this month was a rehearsal for a potential bombing attack on Iran's nuclear sites.

    Some American officials said the Israeli exercise appeared to be an effort to develop the military's capacity to carry out long-range strikes and to demonstrate the seriousness with which Israel views Iran's nuclear program.

    Concerning the new package of incentives proposed by the United States, Russia, China, Britain, Germany and France to try to end the row over Iran's nuclear program, the Iranian foreign minister said that Iran is still studying closely the contents of the package.

    "They treated Iranian package constructively and we will give the required response to them after our study of their package," Mottaki said.

    On June 14, EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana handed the offer of incentives to the Iranian authorities on behalf of the six countries. Iran has also presented its own package of proposals.

Editor:
Related Stories
Iranian MP protests against Britain's "illegal act"
Iran's Revolutionary Guards chief warns Israel against launching attack
Home World
  Back to Top