MANILA, June 21 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon "Fengshen" has killed at least 20 people as it has been rampaging through central Philippines since Friday night, said Philippine officials on Saturday.
The death toll from "Fengshen" in Mindanao, southern Philippines, has risen to 17 so far, said local officials of the southern Philippine regions.
Heavy floods and landslides forced thousands of residents on the islands of Samar, Panay, Negros and in northern Cebu in central Philippines to take to evacuation centers, while at least 30,000 were stranded by flood in the central city of Iloilo after a local dam overflowed, said local officials.
Strong winds also toppled trees and electric poles in several provinces in central Philippines, resulting in the death of at least three people and frequent power interruptions.
Meanwhile, "Fengshen" was still intensifying and continuing its course in a northwest direction towards southern Luzon's Mindoro province Saturday afternoon, state weather forecasters said.
The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said the typhoon packed maximum sustained winds of 160 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 195 kph, and was moving northwest at 11 kph.
"Fengshen" is expected to cross Mindoro Saturday night and be 90 kilometers west of Lubang Island, which is 150 kilometers southwest of Manila Sunday afternoon, said PAGASA.
By Monday afternoon, it was expected to be 190 km west-northwest of Iba, Zambales province which is 100 kilometers north of Manila. By Tuesday afternoon, it is expected to be 410 km west-northwest of Laoag City in northern Luzon.
Typhoon-spawned flashfloods have also displaced thousands of civilians from various parts of South Central Mindanao region in southern Philippines the past two days, said national disaster relief officials.
"Fengshen" made its landfall on the eastern Philippine island of Samar on Friday.