BEIJING, May 12 (Xinhua) -- The State Seismological Bureau (SSB) will send a team of 180 people to the site of Monday's major earthquake in Wenchuan County in southwest China's Sichuan Province for disaster relief.
Zhang Hongwei, spokesman for the SSB, said the bureau has launched a "top-level emergency contingency plan" that includes the team, which will gauge the impact on life and property in the county and help with relief work. So far, five people have been reported killed by the quake.
Although no time was specified for the team's departure, Qu Guosheng, chief engineer of the China seismological emergency center, said a 30-member relief work team had already been sent to the area by the SSB's disaster relief department.
It was not clear whether they were part of the 180-member team.
A quake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale jolted Wenchuan County at 2:28 p.m. Monday, the bureau said. The epicenter of the quake was located 31.0 degrees north latitude and 103.4 degrees east longitude.
Tremors were also reported in Ningxia, Qinghai, Gansu, Shanxi, Shaanxi, Shandong, Yunnan, Hunan, Hubei, Yunnan and Jiangsu provinces, the Shanghai and Chongqing Municipalities, and the Tibet Autonomous Region, the SSB said.