BEIJING, May 8 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese government
decided to offer another 30 million yuan (about 4.3 million U.S. dollars) worth
of aid for cyclone disaster relief and reconstruction work in Myanmar, announced
Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang here Thursday.
Qin told a regular press conference that considering
the severe damage caused by the disaster, China offered the aid to show the
friendship of the Chinese government and people to Myanmar people.
The official death toll from the violent cyclone
Nargis had risen to almost 23,000 as of Wednesday. The number of missing has
risen to 42,119.
China has decided to offer 1 million U.S. dollars
worth of aid, including relief materials worth 500,000 U.S. dollars, to help
Myanmar with its disaster relief and rehabilitation efforts. The first batch of
relief materials had been delivered by Wednesday afternoon.
The Red Cross Society of China has also offered
30,000 U.S. dollars in disaster relief aid to Myanmar, the Chinese People's
Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries has offered 10,000 U.S.
dollars, and China National Offshore Oil Corporation announced to offer 100,000
Local governments of southwestern Yunnan Province and
southern Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, the All-China Women's Federation, the
China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation and the China Nonferrous Metal Mining
Corporation would also offer their aid to Myanmar, according to Qin.
China was also ready to send rescue group and medical
group to Myanmar, Qin said.