WASHINGTON, Feb. 4 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President George W. Bush requested on Monday for 515.4 billion U.S. dollars as the defense department budget in fiscal year 2009 that does not include war spending in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The president also asked for an "emergency allowance" of 70billion dollars to cover the war costs in the first six months after the 2009 fiscal year starts on Oct. 1, 2008.
The total amount Bush requested for defense affairs reached 585.4 billion dollars, compared to the 668.6 billion dollars that the administration has demanded for the current 2008 fiscal year, including 479. 5 billion dollars in Defense Department spending and 189.1 billion dollars for war costs.
But the White House said that it would ask for additional war budget "once the specific needs of our troops are better known."
According to the Pentagon, the proposed defense department budget includes 10.4 billion dollars for deployment of defense against long-range missiles and 389 million dollars for the U.S. new command for Africa as well as 750 million dollars as defense aid for foreign countries.
However, the congressional Democrats has longtime criticized Bush's administration for compromising domestic programs to war spending, which, according to a congressional report released last week, has reached 691 billion dollars since the Sept. 11, 2001,attacks on the United States.
The Iraq war, alone, has consumed 440 billion dollars, the report said.
The war fund in the 2008 fiscal year underwent a fierce and long-term battle in Washington, with 189.1 billion dollars that Bush has asked for still unapproved at Congress.
However, the legislature body greenlighted a 70 billion-dollar "bridge fund" in partial war funding for the current fiscal year, which as Democrats said should be enough to sustain the U.S. military operations until around May or June.