Oscar nominess to be no-shows at awards ceremony?
www.chinaview.cn 2008-01-21 16:22:28   Print

    BEIJING, Jan. 21 (Xinhuanet) -- Film fans will soon know who is on the list for Academy Awards nominations, but whether any nominees will be on hand for the awards ceremony is still uncertain because of the writers strike.

    The list of Oscar nominees Tuesday is expected to include such stars as Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Daniel Day-Lewis and Angelina Jolie.

    That smattering of talent alone would ensure that a lot of people at home would tune in to the Feb. 24 ceremony. But without the cooperation of the striking Writers Guild of America, celebrities might honor the union's picket lines and stay away from the Oscars, leaving the show's planners to either scrap the telecast or come up with some new form of Oscar ceremony unlike anything audiences have seen before.

    The buzz around Hollywood is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has a backup plan to put on the show without the blessing of writers and stars, but they declined to disclose details.

    Gil Cates, producer of the Oscar telecast, has vowed the show will come off no matter what, hinting the program could be padded with clips from 80 years of Oscar history if writers and stars do not cooperate.

    Officially, the academy says it is moving ahead with the red carpet and awards ceremony as usual.

    "We are planning to have our show on Feb. 24 at the Kodak Theatre with an audience of 3,300 people and a television audience significantly larger than that," said academy spokeswoman Leslie Unger.

    Next to the Super Bowl, the Oscars are the most-watched annual broadcast in the United States. Last year, 40.2 million Americans tuned in to the Oscars.

    (Agencies)

Editor: Gareth Dodd
Related Stories
9 films vie for foreign-language Oscar
306 films eligible for best picture Oscar competition
Oscar nomination ballots mailed to Academy members
Home Entertainment
  Back to Top