LONDON, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) --
A London court on Tuesday sentenced a British al-Qaeda terrorist who had planned
a series of attacks in the United Kingdom and the United States to at least 40
years in jail.
A police handout photograph released on Nov. 6, 2006 shows Britain's Dhiren Barot, 34, who appeared for sentencing before Woolwich Crown Court, east London on Monday. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Photo Gallery >>>
At London's Woolwich Crown Court, Dhiren Barot, 34,
from London, admitted a charge of conspiracy to make mass explosions in the
underground systems of Britain and the United States.
He also planned to use radioactive dirty bombs, a
petrol tanker and to blow up a Tube train under the River Thames to flood the
underground network in an attempt to "emulate" the Madrid train bombings which
killed almost 200 people.
The judge told Barot that if he had been successful,
it "would have affected thousands personally, millions indirectly and ultimately
the whole of the U.S. and the UK".
Barot was arrested in August in North-west London by
British armed police and pleaded guilty last month to conspiracy to murder.
He is said to have been trained in terrorist training
centers in Pakistan and had prepared meticulous plans for al-Qaeda figures on a
series of synchronized attacks in Britain.
Barot's American "bombings" were originally planned
in 2000 and 2001 before the September 11 attacks. His targets were the
International Monetary Fund and World Bank buildings in Washington, New York's
Stock Exchange and Citigroup buildings, and the Prudential building in Newark.