DPRK calls on international investigation into civilian killings in Lebanon
www.chinaview.cn 2006-08-17 23:59:55

    PYONGYANG, Aug 17 (Xinhua) -- A human rights group of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday accused Israel of causing a humanitarian disaster in Lebanon during the 34-day-old war and called for a full-scale investigation.

    "The recent Israeli military invasion of Lebanon claimed the lives of many innocent civilians and violated human rights," said a statement issued by the DPRK Association for Human Rights Studies (AHRS).

    The statement accused Israel of killing dozens of civilians in Lebanon, saying "the infringement upon [a nation's] sovereignty and the mass killings of civilians by a war of aggression are the biggest human rights abuses recognized by the international law."

    "It is the top priority of the international community to make a thorough investigation into the case and punish the chief criminals responsible for the crisis in Lebanon," it said.

    The statement also slammed the United States for adopting double standards on human rights.

    "The U.S. has revealed its true colors...by positively encouraging Israel in the aggression on Lebanon and the mass killings of civilians," said the statement.

    At least 809 have been reported killed in Lebanon during the war between Israel and Hezbollah-- including 707 civilians confirmed dead by Lebanese police, security officials, civil defense and hospital authorities, 34 Lebanese soldiers and 68 Hezbollah guerrillas.

    The Lebanese government's Higher Relief Council, however, gave conflicting figures, saying that 1,110 Lebanese had been killed in the conflict.

    The conflict, which started on July 12, also claimed the lives of 157 Israelis, including 118 soldiers and 39 civilians. Enditem

Editor: Luan Shanglin
E-mail Us  
Related Stories