MANILA, May 30 (Xinhua) -- Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on
Tuesday directed Defense Secretary Avelino Cruz to immediately conduct
rehabilitation works on dozens of buildings at schools and other public
facilities found to be fragile in the event of strong earthquakes.
The president issued the directive in wake of a recent report by government
inspectors that at least 60 buildings in the National Capital Region (NCR) are
in earthquake hazards, Cruz toldreporters after a cabinet meeting.
President Arroyo asked them to prioritize the rehabilitation ofschool
buildings in time for the opening of classes next month, headded.
Cruz, who is also the chairman of the National Disaster Coordinating
Council, said the authority would immediately map outa plan of action.
Several schools, along with other public buildings such as the Philsports
Arena, the Philippine Orthopedic Center, the Departmentof Education building,
the Philippine Children's Hospital and the Land Transportation Office building,
are on the list of rehabilitation, according to an earlier report by the
inspectors.
A total of 60 buildings are considered to be life threatening in case of
major earthquake or any natural or manmade calamity, according to the government
inspectors.
Aside from the 60 buildings, 366 others needed to be evaluated,they said in
the report, which was based on the inspection of 1,983 buildings in Metro Manila
as of the end of last month. Enditem