Special Reports
SCO Summit 2006
Earthquake in Indonesia
Violence continues in Timor-Leste
www.chinaview.cn 2006-05-30 21:20:46

    DILI, May 30 (Xinhua) -- More violence kept on erupting here on Tuesday, targeting people, houses and cars.

    "I think there are more violence on the streets today than yesterday," Australian Armed Force Brigadier Mick Slater told a press conference.

    According to eyewitnesses, a number of houses were burnt and cars passing the street stoned on Tuesday.

    In Don Aliyxon of Dili, at least three houses were set on fire by five unidentified gunmen.

    They spread bullets to the houses, but no fatalities were caused, said eyewitness Santina.

    "One of the men was captured and the rest escaped from the Australian police hunt," she said.

    In Don Bosco of Dili, hundreds of people attacked each other, but so far there was no fatalities, Santina said.

    Another eyewitness Suzanna, who passed the street on her way to the airport, said: "Our car's window was broken, because it was hit by stones."

    In other parts of the city, smoke was seen flaring up as a number of houses were on fire.

    Slater said he hoped the troops would bring the situation back to normal.

    "(I) hope tomorrow we will bring best day in. The agreement that we have with the East Timorese government, that is to bring a calm and secure environment to the city of Dili," he said.

    The officer said that "we see it as a priority to provide security in the residential area. So people can move from the refugee camps back into their houses and it is very important and we must do that soon."

    He said the troops would restore the situation back to normal, so the daily activities could be resumed and people can get food.

    "We have assessment. There will be no food throughout Dili soon. That (security) is the problem. If it gets security, gets the shops open, gets life back to normal, the people can go home," he said.

    Tension has run high since some 600 people sacked from the military in April set fire on houses and exchanged fire with Timor-Leste soldiers last week.

    The military and the police became paralyzed later, but rioters took to the streets, burning houses and looting properties.

    At least 23 people have been killed and dozens wounded ever since.

    The current riot was triggered by the faction clashes within the military and the government and might escalate into civil war.

    Dili is now controlled by international peacekeepers from Australia and New Zealand.

    Timor-Leste has been part of Indonesia since 1976, after centuries of Portuguese control. The country became independent in2002 following a referendum in 1999. Enditem

Editor: Pan Letian
E-mail Us Print This Article
Related Stories
Top legislator Wu, Putin meet on ties
President Hu anticipates successful SCO summit
Chinaview.cn Takes on New Look
People's Daily calls for clean local Party elections
Iran ready for nuclear talks with EU
Indonesia's human bird flu death toll rises to 37
Iran says it has conducted research on nuclear fusion
New material makes invisibility possible: studies
Hollywood Jolie welcomes baby girl
US military accepts responsibility for Afghan accident
Iran ready to restart nuclear talks with EU
75 Gitmo detainees hold hunger strike
Car bombings kill over 40 in Iraq
US to send reinforcements to W. Iraq: report
UN urges better coordinated fight against HIV/AIDS