NEW DELHI, May 30 (Xinhua) -- Five Indian
paramilitary forces have been killed by unidentified gunmen after they were
abducted last week from Assam in northeast India, police said Tuesday.
The bodies of the five paramilitary Sashastra Seema
Bal (SSB) personnel were recovered Monday from a densely forested area in the
neighboring region, about 320 km from Guwahati.
"A group of woodcutters spotted the dead bodies and
it was later confirmed they were the five SSB personnel who were kidnapped
earlier in the week," Indo-Asian News Service quoted a senior Assam government
official as saying.
Police said the captors beheaded one of the soldiers,
while the others were blindfolded and their hands tied from behind.
The captors used gunshots and crude implements to
kill them, a police official said.
Six people, including the five SSB troops, were
abducted by a group of unidentified gunmen on May 21 from village Moradanshiri
in northern Assam's Udalguri district, bordering Bhutan.
The dead body of the civilian who was kidnapped along
with the SSB soldiers was recovered from a nearby village the following morning,
a police official said.
Nobody has claimed responsibility for the killing so
far. Enditem