Dili, May 30 (Xinhua) -- An Indonesian Air Force Hercules aircraft left here on Tuesday carrying the last batch of 98 Indonesian citizens who preferred to return home to avoid the communal conflicts that have been raging in the tiny country lately.
"There are no more evacuees at the Indonesian Embassy in Dili. So we will stop the evacuation process," the embassy's senior liaison officer and Senior (Police) Commissioner Minton Mariati Simanjuntak told reporters at Comoro Airport, Dili. The Air Force Hercules had taken out a total of 1,379 Indonesian citizens from Dili to Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, since May 27, 2006.
Indonesian Ambassador to East Timor Ahmad Bey Sofyan said that the embassy would remain open and that he would remain at his post in Dili.
"We have not decided to vacate the embassy as we are still closely monitoring the current situation in this country," Sofyan said.
"Today, people plan to stage a rally in front of the (Timor-Leste) prime minister (Mari Alkatiri)'s office to demand his resignation. Up to this morning, burning and looting continued as people are facing starvation," Senior Commissioner Simanjuntak said.
The skirmishes erupted last month in Timor-Leste after some 600 members of the tiny country's 1,400-strong military were dismissed. The renegade soldiers were deserted after complaining about discrimination because they came from the western part of the newly established country.
In a desperate move to stop the violence, Timor-Leste invited peacekeepers from Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand and Portugal to help restore calm. Enditem
|