www.xinhuanet.com
XINHUA online
CHINA VIEW
VIEW CHINA
 Breaking News Urgent: Saddam trial resumes    Saddam Hussein trial adjourned until Tuesday     Iran says it has conducted research on nuclear fusion    WHO confirms new human death of bird flu in Indonesia     Saddam trial resumes in Baghdad     Road accident triggers riot in Kabul    
Home  
China  
World  
Business  
Technology  
Opinion  
Culture/Edu  
Sports  
Entertainment  
Life/Health  
Travel  
Weather  
RSS  
  About China
  Map
  History
  Constitution
  CPC & Other Parties
  State Organs
  Local Leadership
  White Papers
  Statistics
  Major Projects
  English Websites
  BizChina
- Conferences & Exhibitions
- Investment
- Bidding
- Enterprises
- Policy update
- Technological & Economic Development Zones
Online marketplace of Manufacturers & Wholesalers
   News Photos Voice People BizChina Feature About us   
Sri Lanka hopes EU ban will pin Tigers to talks
www.chinaview.cn 2006-05-30 17:36:19

    COLOMBO, May 30 (Xinhua) -- The Sri Lankan government on Tuesday expressed hope that a ban imposed by the European Union (EU) on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels would force the rebels back to the negotiating table.

    "The government hopes that this clear and firm message would provide a fresh impetus and encouragement to the LTTE to think afresh and resume talks with the assistance of the Norwegian facilitators," a statement from President Mahinda Rajapakse's office said.

    The EU on Monday listed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam as a terrorist outfit. The move is expected to place serious curbs on the LTTE's fund raising within the EU nations.

    The governments of the United States, India, Britain and Canada have already banned the Tamil Tigers and the EU ban was the latest international condemnation of the LTTE who claim they are fighting for the rights of the Tamil minority in Sri Lanka's north and east.

    Rajapakse's office hailed the move by the EU as a deterrent measure by the international community "concerning acts of violence perpetrated against innocent civilians, cease-fire monitors and security forces."

    The statement said the government for its part reiterated its commitment to the continuation of talks with the LTTE, on both the cease-fire and substantive issues relevant to the peace process.

    The EU ban came after a serious warning and a travel restriction placed on the LTTE by the EU following last August assassination of Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar blamed on the LTTE.

    The direct negotiation process was hampered by an upsurge of violence in the north and east with over 500 deaths since December last year.

    The LTTE in April refused to attend a second round of talks to strengthen the ongoing Norwegian backed cease-fire, blaming the government for perpetrating acts of violence against the LTTE members by using para-military groups.

    Just hours after the EU announcement on the proscription of the Tigers, the government accused the LTTE of massacring 12 civilians in the Eastern Province.

    The province's police authorities said that 14 civilians who had been working in a tank construction site were returning on a tractor when they were shot dead by Tiger members in the Welikanda area in the Eastern Province on Monday night.

    Two of them survived the gunfire and escaped to report the incident to the police. Enditem

Editor: Mo Hong'e
  Related Story  
Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.