SINGAPORE, May 30 (Xinhua) -- Another 51 disaster relief personnel, mainly doctors and nurses, left Singapore for the earthquake-hit Yogyakarta province in Indonesia on Tuesday, Channel News Asia reported.
They are from several hospitals, the Singapore Red Cross and Mercy Relief, a non-governmental organization.
Seeing them off at the airport, Minister for Health Khaw Boon Wan said that there are many more Singaporean volunteers waiting to be dispatched in the next few days if more help is needed in the affected areas in Indonesia, the report said.
So far, the Singapore government has sent a 35-member Singapore Armed Forces medical team, a 43-member Singapore Civil Defense Force disaster assistance and rescue team, as well as 39 tons of equipment and humanitarian aid including tents, sleeping bags, blankets and medical supplies to Indonesia.
The Singapore Red Cross and Mercy Relief have each sent two relief teams to Indonesia and are preparing for their third teams, respectively.
A powerful earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale jolted Yogyakarta and several parts of Central Java on Saturday morning, leaving over 5,000 people dead, more than 10,000 injured and at least 200,000 homeless. Enditem
|