DILI, Timor-Leste, May 30 (Xinhua) -- More than 4,000 people gathered here on Tuesday to try to get rice donated by China, as the city has been paralyzed due to days of riots and fighting.
The 4,000 tons of rice donated by the Chinese government earlier this year was being distributed for the third day at the state warehouse behind the Agricultural Ministry, while Australian soldiers lined up the applicants around.
Most of the rice applicants left their houses for security reasons and then took shelters in temporary tents.
Five tanks were on guard at the gate of the warehouse to anticipate possible clash.
"I am happy. It is not so bad. We can survive for one week," said 57 year-old Eduardo after getting one sack of rice of 50 kilograms.
But, 58 year-old Lusiana Soares was unhappy for not getting her allocation yet, saying that old woman could not compete with young people.
She came here two days ago. She had no other choice but kept waiting, because 20 members of her family need food.
"Our food has run out. People in my family will be starved," she said.
"There is no place to buy our daily need. all shops and markets are closed," she added.
The distribution of rice in the past two days triggered off clashes with several people injured.
Twenty-eight-year-old Caroline Do. B. has got some rice, but she still looked sad because it is only enough for her family for a short time.
"I shall cook it to become pap in order to make it last longer," she said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Man Power Minister Arsnoiobano told Xinhua that over 30,000 people were now homeless and lived in tents instead.
They are still uncertain when they could return home, as they are afraid of being attacked.
Tensions have been escalated in Dili since some 600 soldiers, about one-third of the world's youngest country's armed forces, were sacked from the military in March. The deserters were believed to have set fire on houses and exchanged shootings with Timor-Leste soldiers.
|