DILI, May 30 (Xinhua) -- The Timor-Leste police would take steps to collaborate with the foreign troops to safeguard the citizens from further burning and looting, Police Chief Paulo Martin told Xinhua here on Tuesday.
"We would re-organize strength by joining forces with the foreign soldiers," he said.
Timor-Leste police had only about 800 members, he said, while not elaborating on what steps would be taken.
House burning and looting continued in the capital on Tuesday despite over 2,000 foreign troops' presence here.
"The situation is still uncontrolled. House burning and looting still occur," said Martin.
He confirmed that some houses were sacked in Comoro, near the airport on Tuesday morning.
Along the street near the airport, groups of young men with big knives and sticks were still around.
In other spots of the city, smoke could be seen as some houses were burned.
According to 28-year-old eyewitness Carolina Do.B., currently the foreign troops could not take stern action against the rioters who burned houses and looted properties, as they always came late to the scene and could not tell the perpetrators from other citizens.
"When foreign troops arrive in the scene, the perpetrators pretend to be house owners," she told Xinhua.
Foreign troops could not differentiate perpetrators from house owners, said Carolina.
There must be a quick method to recognize those who burned the houses, she said.
"If there is no, the burning and looting will continue," Caroline added.
Timor-Leste President Xanana Gusmao kept on conducting an emergency meeting with cabinet ministers to find solutions to end the protracted crisis and to decide the future of Prime Minister Mari Alkaktiri, who was asked by demonstrators to resign.
Tension was high in recent days as some 600 people sacked from the military in April set fire on houses and exchanged fire with Timor-Leste soldiers earlier last week.
At least 23 people have been killed and dozens wounded since the open fighting began.
Reports said that the current riots were triggered off by the faction clashes within the military and the government and might escalate into civil war.
Timor-Leste became independent in 2002 following a referendum in 1999. Enditem |