|
TOKYO, May 30 (Xinhua) -- The Japanese cabinet approved a final plan on the
reorganization of the U.S. military presence in Japan Tuesday, nearly a month
after Tokyo and Washington struck a deal on the realignment package, Kyodo News
said.
The plan, based on the U.S.-Japan Roadmap for Realignment Implementation
signed on May 1 in Washington, was approved at a Cabinet meeting Tuesday
morning.
The plan covers realignment steps such as relocation of the U.S.Marine
Corps Futenma Air Station within Okinawa, moving 8,000 of the 18,000 U.S.
Marines from Okinawa to Guam by 2014 and others.
However, according to Kyodo, apparently due to Japanese local resistance, the
newly approved plan did not touch the controversial issues such as the building
of the new airfield with two runways aligned in a V-shape as previously
mentioned in the Roadmap, or the deadline for drawing up concrete details.
Okinawa Gov. Keiichi Inamine has yet to officially accept the relocation
plan.
"We will continue our efforts to gain the understanding and cooperation of
local communities in Okinawa Prefecture," Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said
Monday evening.
No exact amount of cost to be shouldered by Tokyo was mentioned.Though
recent media reports said that the government estimated to pay 1.1 trillion yen
(9.82 billion U.S. dollar) over the upcoming eight to ten years for the
realignment of U.S. military presence in Japan.
American troops have been stationed in Japan since the
end of World War II in 1945. Currently, there are about 50,000 U.S troops
located in Japan. Local residents have long complained of crime, noise and
crowding associated with the U.S. military presence. Enditem |