|
BEIJING, May 30 -- East Timor's Cabinet held a crisis meeting
yesterday as thousands of residents fled the burning capital and rival gangs
prowled the streets armed with machetes.
Fighting between factions inside the East Timor security forces last week
ignited a wider feud between residents from the east of this tiny country and
those from the west.
The Cabinet meeting came amid growing speculation that the government could
be near collapse or that parliament would be dissolved.
Escalating violence
A week of bloodshed has killed at least 27 people, raising concerns that
one of the world's youngest nations is plunging into a civil war, seven years
after its traumatic break from Indonesia¡¯s iron-fisted rule.
The number of dead in the latest wave of violence has risen to at least 20,
with more than 50 people wounded, hospital officials in the capital, Dili, said.
Some 27,000 East Timorese sought refuge at shelters, said Robert Ashe,
regional representative for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees. But the
tent camps have almost no sanitation. Children splashed in puddles polluted by
human waste and many didn¡¯t have access to food or drinking water.
Aquilino Soares Torres, 34, fled to the airport with his wife, relatives
and eight children. He complained that the foreign troops were failing to end
the conflict.
"They don't move into the neighborhoods where the violence is taking
place," he said, holding a baby in one arm. "I think the situation will get
worse. I am ready to leave the country with just the shirt on my back."
Foreign intervention
Australia sent about 1,300 troops last week to help quell the unrest that
began in March. East Timor has grown more difficult for Australians to police
because political violence has given way to widespread mob rioting, Australian
Gen. Peter Cosgrove said. Cosgrove also commanded the multinational peacekeeping
force in East Timor in 1999.
Australia said it will send up to 50 federal police officers to help
contain marauding gangs and that around 2,000 Australian troops were either on
the ground or in transit to East Timor. The peacekeepers come from Australia,
Malaysia, New Zealand and Portugal. The New Zealand Government has said its
troops are likely to remain in East Timor at least until next year, when new
elections are scheduled to be held.
The United Nations evacuated hundreds of employees over the weekend, while
its special representative in Dili said more international peacekeepers might be
needed to restore order in the capital.
Japan joined Australia, the United States and other nations in pulling out
non-emergency staff as more than 60 Filipinos were evacuated Sunday on a
Philippine air force plane.
Behind the violence
The current outbreak resembles East Timor's upheaval in 1999 when its
referendum on independence from Indonesia sparked widespread bloodshed by
militants linked to the Indonesian military. East Timor declared itself
independent in 2002.
What began in recent months as a schism within the armed forces spilled
over in the past week to the general population. The country is divided on
geographic lines of east and west and between those perceived to have been
pro-Indonesian against those who wanted independence.
Cabinet meeting
Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri and President Xanana Gusmao ¡ª a hero in the
country's war of independence from Indonesia ¡ª met with the Cabinet yesterday
for the first time since the violence began.
"They have been communicating but have not met face-to-face,"said a Gusmao
aide.
Alkatiri had earlier called the violence an organized plot to overthrow
him.
The mayhem was triggered when Alkatiri sacked some 600 of the 1,400-strong
army in April after public protests claiming discrimination against soldiers
from the east.
A few dozen protesters outside Gusmao's office in Dili brandished hastily
prepared banners reading ¡°Down With Alkatiri.¡±
Sources close to the government say Gusmao is pushing for the country's
army and police force to be disarmed and returned to barracks. Foreign troops
would then take control until a full investigation into the rebellion has been
completed.
The president wants dismissed soldiers to be reinstated while their
grievances are looked into, sources say.
Alkatiri, who is reported to have opposed foreign intervention or to have
pushed for a more limited mission, wants the rebels disarmed but the rest of the
security forces to resume work as soon as possible.
The U.N. special representative to East Timor, Sukehiro Hasegawa, appealed
to leaders not to fan the flames of hatred.
"They have a difference of views on how to manage the country and the
(situation) is very, very fragile in their state,"he said Sunday.
According to Jacquelina Siapano, wife of opposition leader Fernando
Lasamma: "In 1999, I was here and became a refugee. We understood the violence
then because it was the price of independence."Speaking by telephone from the
west of the country where she had fled, she continued: "Now there are so many
conflicts ¡ª ethnic conflicts, political conflicts. Now it seems they feel
violence is the only way they can solve things."
An attempt to find a way out of the current political impasse will be led
by Ian Martin, whom U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan last week named as special
envoy to East Timor.
Martin, who was expected in Dili yesterday, won the respect of locals when
he supervised the U.N.-sponsored referendum in 1999 in which they voted
overwhelmingly to leave Indonesia, the country they had forcibly been
incorporated into in 1975.
More than 1,000 people were killed in 1999 and as many as 70 percent of
East Timor's buildings damaged or destroyed.
East Timor, 640 kilometers north of Australia and with a population of 1
million, is one of the world's poorest countries. It had been a Portuguese
colony for 400 years before the Indonesian invasion.
(Source: Shenzhen Daily/ Agencies) |