Special report: Earthquake in Indonesia
YOGYAKARTA, Indonesia, May 29 (Xinhua) -- Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono Monday called on authorities in Yogyakarta province to speed up the distribution of emergency supplies to victims of the devastating earthquake that struck Saturday.
"Deliver the supplies immediately. Don't store them too long in warehouses or other places. Don't wait until they (the victims) ask, " Susilo said after visiting several affected areas in the province.
Emergency supplies from other countries and local communities have begun to pour the province since Sunday.
But survivors of the earthquake complained they lack food, water and tents and many went to the streets pleading for money from motorists.
Earlier in the day, Yogyakarta Governor Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono said emergency supplies would be distributed directly from the central command for disaster mitigation at his office directly to the affected areas. Previously, relief supplies were delivered to government of lower levels before they reach those who need.
The Saturday's quake killed over 5,000 people in Yogyakarta and the Central Java town of Klaten and displaced about 200,000 others.
More than 12,000 houses were flattened to the ground in the disaster. Enditem |