DILI, May 29 (Xinhua) -- Tens of thousands of internally displaced persons living in refugee camps here in Timor-Leste faced shortage of daily necessities, a camp coordinator said on Monday.
Guilhermina Madcal, a camp coordinator in Balide Village, told Xinhua that there were over 13,000 people taking shelter since April in her camp, but without sufficient food in recent days. Madcal came to the Presidential Palace on Monday to meet President Xanana Gusmao who was in a meeting to seek a solution for the country's current problem.
"All our food stocks run out," she said, adding that the stocks in her camp could only sustain for two weeks.
"I have attempted to call friends and other parties to get assistance to help us survive," she said.
There are over a dozen of refugee camps in Dili, where the local people feel secure to take shelter after the clash on April 28 killed dozens of people.
Over 1,000 troops from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and Portugal arrived in recent days to safeguard the capital as the country's military and polices forces were all paralyzed.
Tension ran high in recent days in Timor-Leste as some 600 soldiers sacked from the military in April set fire on houses and exchanged fire with East Timor soldiers earlier this week. Enditem |