Special report: Earthquake in Indonesia
JAKARTA, May 29 (Xinhua) -- The Indonesian government has declared a state of emergency following the deadly earthquake on Java island occurred on Saturday morning, Antara news agency reported on Monday.
Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla said the government had declared a three-month emergency period in the quake zone and allocated 75 billion rupiah (eight million U.S. dollars) for emergency relief, according to the news agency.
It was not immediately clear what the state of emergency would entail in the affected area.
A powerful earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale rocked Indonesia's province of Yogyakarta and several parts of Central Java at 5:55 a.m. local time on Saturday morning (2255 GMT Friday).
The death toll from the earthquake so far has exceeded 5,000 and the quake also left more then 10,000 people injured.
The Vice President also said a total of one trillion rupiah had been earmarked for reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts, with the assumption that 35,000 homes and buildings were damaged in the earthquake. Enditem |