www.xinhuanet.com
XINHUA online
CHINA VIEW
VIEW CHINA
 Breaking News Urgent: Security Council unanimously approves statement on Iran nuclear program    FLASH: SECURITY COUNCIL ADOPTS STATEMENT CALLING ON IRAN TO SUSPEND ENRICHMENT-R    Urgent: Key Security Council members agree on Iran statement    FLASH: UN SECURITY COUNCIL REACHES AGREEMENT ON THE DRAFT STATEMENT ON THE IRAN    Urgent: UN: Ex-Liberian leader Taylor handed over to court in Sierra Leone    Urgent: Hamas-led Palestinian cabinet takes office    
Home  
China  
World  
Business  
Technology  
Opinion  
Culture/Edu  
Sports  
Entertainment  
Life/Health  
Travel  
Weather  
RSS  
  About China
  Map
  History
  Constitution
  CPC & Other Parties
  State Organs
  Local Leadership
  White Papers
  Statistics
  Major Projects
  English Websites
  BizChina
- Conferences & Exhibitions
- Investment
- Bidding
- Enterprises
- Policy update
- Technological & Economic Development Zones
Online marketplace of Manufacturers & Wholesalers
   News Photos Voice People BizChina Feature About us   
Former Chinese laborers vow to appeal after case dismissed
www.chinaview.cn 2006-03-29 23:08:22

    TOKYO, March 29 (Xinhua) -- A group of former Chinese laborers, who were forced to work in Japan during World War II, vowed to appeal for high court ruling on Wednesday after their damages suit was dismissed by a district court earlier in the day.

    "Was it legal that the Japanese government forced us to come to Japan and work like slaves? " Cui Guangting said at a rally in Tokyo Wednesday evening.

    "We will appeal for justice. If we could not make it, our sons will continue to sue," said 82-year-old Cui.

    Earlier in the day, the Fukuoka District Court dismissed the suit against the Japanese government and two Japanese companies filed by 45 former Chinese laborers who were forced to work in mines in southern Fukuoka prefecture during World War II.

    The plaintiffs filed the suit against the Japanese government, Mitsui Mining Co. and Mitsubishi Materials Corp. (then Mitsubishi Mining Corp.) in February 2003, seeking 23 million yen (about 194,900 U.S. dollars) in compensation per person, and demanding that an apology be published in both Japanese and Chinese newspapers.

    The court decided that the policy of forced labor was illegal. However, it held that the plaintiffs' right to request reparation has expired 20 years after the illegal act was committed and rejected their demand for compensation.

    Onoyama, chief of the Japanese lawyer team for the plaintiffs, said the ruling was "disappointing". He said his team would urge the Japanese government and companies to admit their past deeds, apologize and make compensations.

    "We are confident of the future," Li Haiyan, a Chinese lawyer for the plaintiffs said at the rally, "seeing so many Japanese friends supporting us."

    A total of 8,226 Chinese people were forced to leave home and work in mines by the Mitsui Mining Co. and Mitsubishi Mining Corp during World War II. Among them, 1,540 laborers were tortured to death. However, the two companies hardly paid any money to the laborers but received compensation from the Japanese government.

    A report from the Japanese Foreign Ministry showed that 38,935 Chinese people were forcibly taken to work in 135 mines and ports across Japan during WWII. Enditem

Editor: Luan Shanglin
  Related Story  
Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.