RAMALLAH, Dec. 5 (Xinhuanet) -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemned on Monday the suicide bombing attack carried out by a Palestinian suicide bomber on the northern Israeli city of Netanya.
Abbas said in a written statement sent to reporters that the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) condemns the attack and will chase all those who were responsible for and behind it.
"This operation ... against civilians causes the most serious harm to our commitment to the peace process and the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) will not go easy on whoever is found to be responsible for this operation," Abbas said.
Meanwhile, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat also condemned the attack, saying the PNA condemns the attack that severely hurt the highest interests of the Palestinian people.
This attack is condemned and it is carried out in such special circumstances, where the Palestinians are preparing for their legislative elections due on Jan. 25, said Erekat.
A Palestinian suicide bomber carried out the attack into a shopping mall in Netanya, where he blew himself up and killed atleast five Israelis and wounded dozens of others.
Saray al-Quds, Islamic Jihad armed wing claimed responsibility for the attack and said it is a response to the daily Israelicrimes committed against the Palestinian people in the West Bankand the Gaza Strip.
The group said that the bomber, Lutfi Abu Sami from the northern West Bank city of Jenin, is a member of the group and theone who carried out the attack in Netanya.
However, reports over claiming responsibility had earlier conflicted. A group calling itself the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades also claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was in response to the Israeli daily crimes against the Palestinian people.
Khader Habib, a senior Islamic Jihad movement leader in Gazatold reporters that no matter who carried out the attack, it is a natural response to the daily crimes carried out on daily bases against our people. Enditem