www.xinhuanet.com
XINHUA online
CHINA VIEW
VIEW CHINA
 Breaking News Brother of Iraq's interior minister kidnapped    Blasts in Bali may have link with oil price hikes: observer    Indonesian president to visit Bali after triple bombings    Explosions rock on Indonesia's Bali island    2 Japanese financial groups merge into world's largest in assets    Labour confirmed as largest party in New Zealand vote    
Home  
China  
World  
Business  
Technology  
Opinion  
Culture/Edu  
Sports  
Entertainment  
Life/Health  
Travel  
Weather  
RSS  
  About China
  Map
  History
  Constitution
  CPC & Other Parties
  State Organs
  Local Leadership
  White Papers
  Statistics
  Major Projects
  English Websites
  BizChina
- Conferences & Exhibitions
- Investment
- Bidding
- Enterprises
- Policy update
- Technological & Economic Development Zones
Online marketplace of Manufacturers & Wholesalers
   News Photos Voice People BizChina Feature About us   
British govt opens helpline for Bali bombings
www.chinaview.cn 2005-10-02 04:11:22

    LONDON, Oct. 1 (Xinhuanet) -- The British Foreign Office set up a helpline on Saturday for Britons concerned about relatives after at least 25 people were killed in series of bombings in Bali.

    Many others were injured in at least three blasts on the Indonesian island. A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said one Briton had been treated for minor injuries. The British ambassador to Jakarta and a Hong Kong-based emergency team with staff from London are also said to be on their way to Bali, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) reported.

A series of near-simultanous bomb blasts ripped through popular tourist spots on the Indonesian island of Bali, killing at least 30 people.

Indonesian security personnel survey the scene at a bomb damaged restaurant in Kuta on the island of Bali. (AFP)

Click for more related photos

    The blasts took place just before 2000 local time (1200 GMT) when two blasts went off at a seaside area packed with restaurants and another took place in an area popular with Western tourists.

    The spokeswoman confirmed that some British members with a Rugby team which had been in the area were safe, as was a large volunteer organization with British staff.

    Twenty-eight Britons were among the 202 people killed in the Oct. 12, 2002 bomb attacks in Kuta, which had been blamed on Islamic extremists.

    The Foreign Office warns on its website that "We continue to receive reports that terrorists in Indonesia are planning further attacks on Westerners and Western interests." It adds that Indonesian police are on high alert in the capital, Jakarta. Enditem

 

  Related Story
Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.