PARIS, Aug. 5 (Xinhuanet) -- French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said Friday that he hopes Tehran would abandon its plan to restart work at a uranium conversion plant.
"I hope that the Iranians will not close the door of negotiations," Douste-Blazy told Europe 1 radio, adding "I hope Iran will heed the voice of reason."
If Iran resumes its uranium conversion work, "then it is certain that the international community will ask the Security Council to intervene," said the minister.
According to the French Foreign Ministry, the ambassadors of the European troika (France, Germany and Britain) earlier in the day handed over to Iran cooperation proposals which were offered by the Europeans and are likely to dissuade Iran from resuming its sensitive nuclear activities.
"These are propositions concerning civilian nuclear work. It has nothing to do with refusing civilian nuclear activities for Iran... We are prepared to support" an Iranian civilian nuclear program, said Douste-Blazy.
However, he did not reveal further details about the eventual "security guarantees concerning the Iranian territory", saying the propositions were "ambitious and generous" and "were interesting because they open new perspectives for Iran in its ties with Europe and with the rest of the international community."
"I hope we will best use the coming days to negotiate with them," he added. Enditem