WASHINGTON, Jan. 4 (Xinhuanet) -- The United States denied on Tuesday President George W. Bush and Iraqi's interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi discussed a possible delay of Iraq's coming elections and insisted that the elections will be held as scheduled.
When asked if Bush and Allawi discussed a possible delay of theelections in their phone call on Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said: "In fact, in their phone call they talked about the importance of moving forward on the timetable that was set out by the Independent Iraqi Election Commission. So I have not heard anything of that nature."
"We fully support the Independent Iraqi Election Commission timetable for Jan. 30 for holding those elections. It is importantthat we continue to move forward on all fronts to help the Iraqi people realize a better future, a future that stands in stark contrasts of the brutal regime of Saddam Hussein," McClellan said.
According to a report by the New York Times on Tuesday, hours after bombing attacks killed at least 20 people in Iraq on Monday,Allawi called Bush and discussed the many impediments still facingthe country as it heads toward the Jan. 30 elections.
Some officials in Washington and in Iraq interpreted the telephone call as a sign that Allawi, who is clearly concerned hisown party could be headed to defeat if the elections are held on schedule, may be preparing the ground to make the case for delay to Bush, the report said.
But Bush "is holding firm" and told Allawi that the Iraqi government has met every deadline so far, including assuming powerfrom the United States in June last year, the report said. Enditem