www.xinhuanet.com
XINHUA online
CHINA VIEW
VIEW CHINA
 Breaking News Car bomb north of Baghdad kills 3 Iraqis: US army    4 bombs blast in southern Thailand     Roadside bomb kills two US soldiers in Baghdad     Urgent: NASA launches MESSENGER spacecraft to explore Mercury     Urgent: Three Palestinians killed in explosion in southern Gaza     Turkish truckers announce to stop transporting goods to US forces in Iraq     
Home  
China  
World  
Business  
Technology  
Opinion  
Culture/Edu  
Sports  
Entertainment  
Metrolife  
Travel  
Weather  
  About China
  Map
  History
  Constitution
  CPC & Other Parties
  State Organs
  Local Leadership
  White Papers
  Statistics
  Major Projects
  English Websites
  BizChina
- Conferences & Exhibitions
- Investment
- Bidding
- Enterprises
- Policy update
- Technological & Economic Development Zones

   News Photos Voice People BizChina Feature About us   
Information leading to US terror alert was years old: reports
www.chinaview.cn 2004-08-03 22:58:53

””WASHINGTON, Aug. 3 (Xinhuanet) -- Much of the information that ledthe US government in recent days to raise the terror alert for five financial centers in New York City, northern New Jersey and Washington was three or four years old, media reports here said Tuesday.

    The reports quoted intelligence and law enforcement officials as saying that they had not yet found concrete evidence that a terrorist plot or preparatory surveillance operations were still underway.

    But the officials continued to regard the information as significant and troubling because reconnaissance by al Qaeda had provided the terrorist organization with the knowledge necessary to carry out attacks against sites in Manhattan, Washington and elsewhere.

    Al Qaeda had often struck years after its operatives began surveillance of an intended target, the officials said.

    "You could say that the bulk of this information is old, but weknow that al Qaeda collects, collects, collects until they're comfortable," one senior government official was quoted by The NewYork Times as saying. "Only then do they carry out an operation."

    The newspaper reports came after White House homeland security adviser Frances Fragos Townsend said on Monday that surveillance reports, apparently collected by al Qaeda operatives, had been gathered in 2000 and 2001. But, she added, information might have been updated as recently as January.

    "There is nothing right now that we're hearing that is new," a report in The Washington Post quoted one senior law enforcement official who was briefed on the alert as saying. "Why did we go tothis level...I still don't know."

    On Sunday, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge raised the terrorist threat level in some financial centers in Washington, New York City and northern New Jersey saying intelligence from "multiple reporting streams" was "alarming in both the amount and specificity of the information." Enditem

  Related Story
Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.