www.xinhuanet.com
XINHUA online
CHINA VIEW
VIEW CHINA
 Breaking News 20 to 30 dead in Riyadh attack: CNN    Urgent: At least two killed, dozens wounded in Riyadh blast    Urgent: Dozens wounded in Riyadh bombing     THREE EXPLOSIONS ROCKED SAUDI CAPITAL RIYADH    Big explosion rocks Saudi capital Riyadh    POWERFUL EXPLOSION HEARD IN SAUDI CAPITAL RIYADH    
Home  
China  
World  
Business  
Technology  
Opinion  
Culture/Edu  
Sports  
Entertainment  
Metrolife  
Travel  
Weather  
  About China
  Map
  History
  Constitution
  CPC & Other Parties
  State Organs
  Local Leadership
  White Papers
  Statistics
  Major Projects
  English Websites
  BizChina
- Conferences & Exhibitions
- Investment
- Bidding
- Enterprises
- Policy update
- Technological & Economic Development Zones

   News Photos Voice People BizChina Feature About us   
Iran to suspend uranium enrichment: IAEA
www.chinaview.cn 2003-11-09 09:45:17

  VIENNA, Nov. 8 (Xinhuanet) -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei said on Saturday that Iran will hand over letters next week, making official its acceptance of tougher nuclear inspections and a suspension of its controversial uranium enrichment program.

  "Next week we will get the letter for conclusion of the additional protocol, which is a positive step," ElBaradei told reporters after meeting with Hassan Rohani, head of the Iranian Supreme National Security.

  "Iran is determined to make sure that the international community is assured of the peaceful nature of its nuclear programs," said Rohani.

  The meeting came days before the IAEA board of governors was tomeet on Nov. 20 to review the latest report on Iran's nuclear activities.

  Iranian officials had repeatedly expressed the country's intention to sign an additional protocol to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which will permit tougher and snap inspections by the UN nuclear watchdog.

  The document still needs approval from the Iranian parliament, and so far no specific date has been set for the signing.

  In mid-October, Tehran promised visiting foreign ministers of Britain, Germany and France that it would suspend uranium enrichment in return for the countries' technical aid to its peaceful use of nuclear energy. Enditem

  Related Story
Copyright ©2003 Xinhua News Agency. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.